National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Admission 2017
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Karnal was originally started as Imperial Institute of Animal Husbandry and Dairying in 1923 at Bangalore. It was expanded and renamed as Imperial Dairy Institute in 1936 and was known as National Dairy Research Institute after independence in 1947. Subsequently, in 1955, NDRI headquarters was shifted to Karnal. Facilities at Bangalore were retained to function as a Regional Station to serve the Southern States.
At present, National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Karnal offers a B.Tech degree in Dairy Technology (DT), Diploma in Dairy Technology, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying, Master’s program in dairying and doctoral programs in the various disciplines of dairying and dairy technology.
Key Points regarding National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Admission 2017
- NDRI offers B. Tech. Degree Program in Dairy Technology. This Degree program offers intensive training in processing and quality control of milk and products and engineering aspects of dairy processing equipment.
- The eligibility for admission is 10+2 or its equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English from a Board/University recognized by the Institute.
- The admissions to B.Tech. (DT) program are done through an All India Combined Entrance Examination conducted by the Education Division of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi.
- The duration of the Master in Dairying program is minimum 3 years for students graduated with 3-Years UG degree program and 2 years for graduates with 4-Years UG professional degrees.
- The candidates are selected for admission on the basis of merit.
- The merit list is prepared on the basis of marks scored in the entrance examination and counselling.
- The duration of the Diploma in Dairy Technology and Diploma in Animal Husbandry & Dairying is three years.
- The admissions to Diploma programs are done through the entrance examination conducted by the University.
- One must have passed Class 10 examination to be eligible to appear for entrance examination conducted for the diploma program.
|Name of The University||National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Merit-based|
|Last Date to Apply||For UG Admissions - May 4, 2017 (ICAR - AIEEA UG) For PG Admissions - May 4, 2017 (ICAR - AIEEA PG)|
|Name of the Entrance||AIEEA 2017|
|Entrance Exam Date||June 10, 2017 (AIEEA UG 2017) June 10, 2017 (AIEEA PG 2017)|
|Entrance Exam Result||June 30, 2017 (AIEEA 2017)|
|Counselling date||After 1st Week of July (AIEEA 2017)|
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Admission Schedule 2017
|Course Name||Entrance Exam||Registration Start||Registration End|
|B.Tech||AIEEA - UG 2017||April 20, 2017||May 4, 2017|
|M.Tech||AIEEA - PG 2017||April 20, 2017||May 4, 2017|
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Diploma Admission 2017
The eligibility for admission to the diploma program is that a candidate must have passed 10th standard or equivalent examination with at least 50% marks in aggregate for General and OBC and 40% marks in case candidates belonging to SC/ST, PH category. The minimum age limit is set at 15 years as on or before 31st July of the year of admission while the maximum age limit is 21 years.
Note: Maximum age limit for in-service candidate shall be 45 years as on 31st July.
For admissions to Diploma program, an entrance examination is conducted by the University. The examination is held at NDRI, Karnal and its regional stations at Bangalore and Kalyani in the month of May/June. The candidates are selected on the basis of merit in the Entrance Examination and Counselling.
The duration of the Diploma in Dairy Technology and Diploma in Animal Husbandry & Dairying is three years. The course is run under semester system. The students need to undergo one semester of In-plant training/field training after 5th semester in a commercial dairy plant/field.
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Eligibility Criteria for Diploma Courses
|Course Name||Specialisation||Minimum Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|Diploma||Dairy Technology||50% marks in aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics / Biology / Agriculture by General, OBC and UPS categories and 40% for SC/ST, PH in the 12th Standard Examination.||Entrance Examination Conducted by the Institute|
|Animal Husbandry & Dairying|
- The candidates are selected for admission on the basis of merit in the Entrance Examination and Counselling.
- Application forms are available on the official website of NDRI.
- Application Fee is Rs. 800/- (For General/OBC) and Rs. 400/- (For SC/ST/PH).
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal B.Tech Admission 2017
NDRI, Karnal offers B.Tech program in Dairy Technology (DT). This Degree program offers intensive training in processing and quality control of milk and products and engineering aspects of dairy processing equipments. The duration of the B. Tech. (DT) program is four years.
The eligibility for admission to the B.Tech program is 10+2 or its equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English from a Board/University recognized by the Institute. Only those candidates who have obtained at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA in the aggregate are eligible for admission to B.Tech (Dairy Technology). The requirement of marks in the case of candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste/Tribe and PH is 40% or equivalent GPA.
The admissions to B.Tech (DT) program are done through an All India Combined Entrance Examination conducted by the Education Division of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi. The candidates are selected for admission on the basis of the merit in the combined examination and counseling.
Admission shall be made on the basis of merit through All India Entrance Examination conducted by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
|Course Name||Specialisation||Minimum Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|B.Tech||Dairy Technology (DT)||Candidate must have passed 10+2 or its equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English from a Board/University recognized by the Institute. Only those candidates who have obtained at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA. in the aggregate are eligible for admission to B.Tech. (Dairy Technology). The requirement of marks in the case of candidates belonging to Scheduled Cast/Tribe and PH is 40% or equivalent GPA.||Admission shall be made on the basis of merit through All India Entrance Examination conducted by the Education Division, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Krishi Anusandhan Bhavan-II, Pusa, New Delhi|
Important points to note regarding NDRI B.Tech (DT) Admissions 2017
- The Candidates appearing for 10+2 examination can also apply subject to his/her producing 10+2 passing certificate on the date of counselling.
- The sale of Information Bulletins including application forms is arranged by the ICAR through Registrars of State Agricultural Universities and Deemed Universities of ICAR.
- The result of Entrance Examination is declared by the ICAR on it’s website.
- The ICAR conducts the Counseling for admission at National Agricultural Science Centre Complex, Cev prakash Shastry Marg, Pusa Campus, New Delhi on specified dates.
- Candidates admitted at NDRI have to deposit Rs. 2000/- as part of regular fees to confirm their admission and issue of admission letter by the ICAR.
- Such candidates who are not able to get admission at NDRI and opt for not to join at any other university, are eligible to exercise the option of getting wait listed.
- The waiting list is prepared by the ICAR and operated by NDRI for filling up the vacant seats. The schedule for operation of waiting list is announced by NDRI on the official website.
- Individual letters or communications are not given by NDRI for counseling schedules out of the waiting list.
- There is no provision of migration from any other university to NDRI and vice versa.
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal M.Tech Admission 2017
NDRI Offers M.Tech program in dairying its allied disciplines at the postgraduate level. The duration of the Master in Dairying program is minimum 3 years for students graduated with a 3-Year UG degree program and 2 years for graduates with 4-Year professional degrees.
Candidates having Bachelors Degree in the relevant field as given below must have obtained at least 60% marks (For SC/ST/PH candidates, 50% marks) or a certificate from Registrar of scoring OGPA equivalent to 60% marks.
The candidates are selected for admission on the basis of merit in the Entrance Examination and Counselling. In case, the candidates secure equal marks in entrance then their previous year’s result shall be taken into consideration for determining their inter-se-merit for the purpose. If the previous year result is also same then the date of passing/clearing the degree will be taken in the account.
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Eligibility Criteria for Post Graduate Courses
|Course Name||Specialisation||Minimum Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|M.Tech||Dairy Microbiology||Candidates having Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field as given below must have obtained at least 60% marks (For SC/ST/PH candidates 50% marks) or a certificate from Registrar of having OGPA equivalent to 60% marks.||The candidates are selected for admission on the basis of merit in the Entrance Examination and Counselling.|
|Animal Genetics & Breeding|
|Livestock Production & Management|
|Dairy Extension Education|
|Animal Reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics|
- The candidates appearing for final year examination of Bachelor’s Degree Program can also apply subject to producing his/her Bachelor’s Degree certificate on the date of counselling, falling which the student will not be considered for award of admission.
- The candidate should have completed age of 19 years on or before 31st July of particular year of admission.
- There is no maximum age limit for Masters Program, however, no relaxation is admissible regarding the minimum age limit.
- The examination is held at various centers of the country in the month of May/June.
- The candidates are selected for admission on the basis of merit in the Entrance Examination and Counseling.
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Ph.D. Courses Admission 2017
The Institute also offers Ph.D. programs in dairy research and related disciplines. Upon completion of the coursework, the scholars may be placed at Main Campus, Karnal or Southern Regional Station, Bangalore/ Eastern Regional Station, Kalyani campus and also other ICAR Institutes for undertaking the thesis work. Ph.D. Program is offered in the fifteen disciplines, as mentioned in table.
The duration of the course for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy shall be at least six semesters (3 academic years) for the students with 4+2 or 3+3 (UG + PG) education framework. The student with 3+2 background will need to undergo pre-requisite courses and the duration will be 8 semesters (4 academic years). The maximum period of study for completion of a doctoral degree shall be 6 years.
Candidates having passed (or due to appear at the final examination) their Master’s degree in the concerned field with Overall Grade Point Average (OGPA) of at least 6.60/ 10.00 in ten-point scale, at least 3.25/5.00 in five-point scale, at least 2.60/ 4.00 in four-point scale for General, OBC and UPS categories candidates whereas for SC/ ST/ Physically Handicapped (PH) candidates the said requirement is an OGPA of at least 5.60/10.00, 2.75/ 5.00, 2.20/ 4.00 respectively.
In other cases, where grade-points are not awarded and only marks are awarded, the candidate must have secured at least 60% marks for General, OBC and UPS categories whereas for SC/ ST/ PH categories, the minimum requirement is 50% marks.
Please note that equivalence between OGPA and % marks will not be acceptable. The candidate must have completed all requirements including thesis viva voce examination or project training etc., on or before 31st July 2017.
|Course Name||Specialisation||Minimum Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|Ph.D.||Dairy Microbiology||Candidates having passed (or due to appear at the final examination) their Master’s degree in the concerned field with Overall Grade Point Average (OGPA) of at least 6.60/ 10.00 in ten-point scale, at least 3.25/5.00 in five-point scale, at least 2.60/ 4.00 in four-point scale for General, OBC and UPS categories candidates whereas for SC/ ST/ Physically Handicapped (PH) candidates the said requirement is an OGPA of at least 5.60/10.00, 2.75/ 5.00, 2.20/ 4.00 respectively. In other cases, where grade-points are not awarded and only marks are awarded, the candidate must have secured at least 60% marks for General, OBC and UPS categories whereas for SC/ ST/ PH categories the minimum requirement is 50% marks. (Please note that equivalence between OGPA and % marks will not be acceptable).||The final selection for admission to Ph.D. will be based on merit list prepared on the basis of marks obtained in the Entrance Examination.|
|Animal Genetics & Breeding|
|Livestock Production & Management|
|Agricultural Extension Education|
|Veterinary Gynecology & Obstetrics|
|Food Safety and Quality Assurance|
NDRI Karnal Ph.D Application Process 2017
Candidates applying for the Admissions in various Ph.D programmes of ICAR-National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University) Karnal (Haryana) are required to apply online only through the official website of NDRI, Karnal http://www.ndri.res.in and accessing the link 'Apply Online.
Application will not be accepted by any other mode. Candidates are requested to read important instructions for filling up online application form before apply available on the website
Applications are invited for online admission to Ph.D. Programme. The application Fees of Rs.600/- (for SC/ST/PH) and Rs.1200/- (for General/OBC) shall be charged.
Reservation of Seats for Ph.D Admissions 2017
|Category||No. of Seats|
|SC (15%)||13 seats|
|ST (7.5%)||10 seats|
|OBC (27%)||30 seats|
|PH (3%)||5 seats (*)|
|UPS (2%)||3 seats (*)|
(*) The seats will be provided to the candidates against (the category i.e. General/SC/ST/OBC to which they belong.
Note: Minimum age limit shall be 21 years on or before 31-07-2017. Normally there will be no upper age limit.
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Application Process 2017
- Mode of entrance examination is Online only.
- UG admissions are given as per AIEEA exam scores and PG admissions are considered on the basis of University examinations score.
- Candidates must be an Indian Nationals or PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) or OCI (Overseas Citizen of India).
How to Apply for ICAR AIEEA UG or PG Exam 2017
- Students need to visit the ICAR Official Portal.
- Select the Course you want to apply for - UG or PG.
- Fill the ICAR Exam 2017 Application Form with correct details.
- Upload Photograph and Signature.
- Choose the mode of Fee Payment (Online Payment Gateway, SBBJ Bank Challan, NEFT Challan (for banks other than SBBJ).
- Make the Fee Payment & take a print out of Challan.
- If you are paying the requisite fee through Offline mode, then visit the prescribed bank & Make the Payment of fee.
- Submit ICAR AIEEA Application Form 2017.
- Now, Application Number and Password will be generated & note them for further reference.
- Take a hard copy of ICAR 2017 Online Application Form for future use.
Application Fee for AIEEA Exam:
- For GEN, OBC and UPS Categories – 500/-
- For SC/ST and PC Categories – 250/-
- ICAR AIEEA UG/PG Scorecard 2017
- ICAR AIEEA UG/PG Admit Card 2017
- 10th Class Mark List & Certificate
- Intermediate Marks sheet & Certificate
- Proof of Date of Birth
- Caste or Category Certificate (Candidates belonging to Reserved Categories)
- Domicile Certificate
- Medical Certificate in case of Physically Handicapped candidates issued by the Medical Authority
- Character or Conduct Certificate from the last attended Institute
- Income Certificate
- E-Admit Card & Counselling Letter
- Valid Certificate of Registration for Veterinary Graduates only
- Authority Letter in prescribed format if the candidate is unable to attend for Counselling in person
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI)
Near Jewels Hotel, GT Rd, Karnal, Haryana 132001
Phone: 0184 225 9023
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Reservation Criteria 2017
- Fifteen per cent of total seats are reserved for bonafide candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, 7.5 per cent for Scheduled Tribes, 27% for OBC and 3% for Physically Handicapped subject to their being otherwise eligible.
- 2% seats are reserved for remote and underprivileged states/UTs (UPS).
- Candidates from UPS will have to produce domicile certificate issued by the competent authority at the time of counselling.
- The reservation of seats amongst the SC/ST categories is interchangeable if sufficient number of candidates is not available in a given subject as per merit-rank in examination.
- In case candidates from reserved categories are not available, the same will be filled up from general category.
Definition for physically handicapped: Candidates having permanent disability of not less than 40%, provided the candidate is otherwise fit for admission. Such candidates will have to bring a certificate as appended in the Information Bulletin from the Chief Medical Officer of the District to which the candidates belongs. Such candidates will also have to appear before the Medical Board constituted by the Director for determining the percentage of disability and for assessment whether they are fit to carry out the duties despite being handicapped.
National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal Scholarship 2017
- Scholarship being awarded by Govt. of India/ICAR/Alumni Association/Dairy Industry etc. shall be offered to the students on the basis of merit.
- This provision shall be utilized to assist as many students as possible who have good academic record and who are making diligent efforts to pursue higher education.
- The award shall be made by the Joint Director of the Institute on the recommendation of the Standing Committee, which shall take into consideration the merit of each student.
- The first year students shall be awarded scholarship on the basis of the merit assigned in Entrance Examination and Second, Third & Fourth year students on the basis of their merit of the previous year examination.
- In case students secure equal marks/SGPA/CGPA, their previous year’s result shall be taken into account for determining their inter-se-merit for the purpose.
- However, in respect of second year students, merit assigned in the entrance examination shall be taken into consideration.
- ICAR National Talent Scholarship (NTS) is available to every student admitted by the Council at the rate of Rs. 1000/- per month during the period of study provided the student:
- Joins University in a state outside his/her Domicile state.
- Has not changed the University /subject allotted for any reason.
- Has not admitted against any vacant seat through waitlist option as per his/her request.
- Maintains good conduct and satisfactory academic performance (7.0 OGPA) throughout the period of study.
- Does not fail in any course during the period of study.
- The duration of each Scholarship shall be one year.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College
The station pioneered the activities in respect of artificial insemination in the country. Simple and reliable test (Motility Index) for evaluating semen was developed. Introduction of 10-ml. taurine buffers in the genital tract immediately before AI, found to improve conception in cattle. The Nutritional survey of dairy cattle carried out by the station in Southern India was perhaps one of the earliest works in animal nutrition and the study brought out the feeding practices and deficiency of minerals in cattle ration. The research finding of feeding of urea ammoniated paddy straw to milch animals resulted in significant (20%) increase in milk yield and 20% reduction in cost of milk production by way of reduction of concentrate requirement. Under the Key Village Scheme, Key Farm Centres were established for facilitating primary activities and providing veterinary health care. Calibration of lactometer lead to a great help to dairy industry. Simple and rapid electrometric method for estimation of SNF was developed. Methods were developed to detect adulteration of ghee with Vanaspathi and Vegetable Oil. Bacteriological standards were suggested for grading of milk and quality evaluation of pasteurized milk. A sediment chart was developed to assess the dirt content in milk. Successfully developed and modified the methodologies for manufacture of dairy products viz., fruit flavored high fat yoghurt, low cost cream spread, kadhi power, cholesterol free mozzarella cheese and basundi. An easy to constitute dry mix was developed for ‘Palada Payasam’. Extensive studies on cost of milk production and constraint analysis of dairy farming were carried out.
- The Malnad Gidda is unique dwarf cattle which mostly thrive on grazing and play a unique role in the farming systems of the heavy rain fall Malnad and coastal regions of Karnataka. Good number of cows calved more than 15 calves in their life time. The lactoferrin content in Malnad Gidda cattle milk was found to be higher (range 48.98 to 157.10µg/ml). The breed was got registered as a distinct indigenous breed of Karnataka.
- The studies on the frequency of A1 and A2 casein allele in Malnad Gidda, Deoni, HF cattle and HF graded cattle indicated that A2 allele is fixed in Deoni cattle while the frequency of A1 allele among graded HF cattle was 0.3. Among Malnad Gidda cattle except 3 cows from one herd all the 154 cows screened were of A2A2 type.
- Efforts were made for the on the spot diagnosis and control mastitis especially subclinical mastitis through testing of milk by electrical conductivity meter, assessing somatic cell counts by California Mastitis Test (CMT) and automated digital reader.
- Demonstration cum training programmes relating to sub-clinical mastitis were arranged for around 1000 farmers of Bangalore and Kolar districts and the programme made tremendous impact on dairy farmers and dairy co-operative societies.
- A total of fifteen commercial dairy farms maintaining graded Holstein Friesians located around Ludhiana, Moga, Mohali and Chandigarh were visited and personal interviews with the farmers were conducted. The intensive management inputs coupled with expert advice are resulting in good conception rate, regular calving, and healthy growth of young stock and higher yields.
- It is suggested to establish feed mixing units in border districts of Tamil Nadu/ Karnataka and import ready mix feed. All water logging lands in Kerala can be converted into ‘Para Grass fields’ thus improving fodder availability. Further, there is strong reason to promote dairy farming in high altitude regions like, Palakkad, Wyanad & Idukki.
- Using homogenous fermentation kinetics of heterogenous feedstuffs, concentrate supplements were formulated to cater the intensity of fermentation to support different levels of milk production.
- An attempt was made to develop a dry mix using popped ragi and milk solids. Channa Jhilli prepared according to the standardized procedure was evaluated for its shelf life.
- Technology for preservation of Kunda and Chhana Podo by EVOH & PET multiplayer high barrier packaging material coupled with oxygen scavenger was developed. The product thus packed can be kept well without spoilage over 45 days in case of Chhana Podo & more than 180 days in case of Kunda.
- A method for the preparation of ready to reconstitute payasam dry mix incorporating ground green gram dhal and poppy seeds and skim milk powder was standardized.
- Whey drink was prepared from both protein and lactose hydrolyzed whey with 8% sugar, 1% starch and 4% mango pulp which was acceptable for the consumers. Thermization of whey drinks at 650C for 10 min has shown an increased shelf life of the product.
- For the preparation of sugarless khoa jalebi, non-conventional sweeteners and bulk sweeteners were tried in place of sucrose. Using combination of these sweeteners, a sweetened syrup has been formulated for the preparation of sugarless khoa jalebi.
- Extracts of some of the vegetables and fruits were used in the preparation of buttermilk drinks for enhanced health benefits.. An attempt was made to improve the textural stability of buttermilk drinks through homogenization of the milk used and addition of stabilizers. Thermization and carbonation of buttermilk drinks helped to extend the shelf-life of the buttermilk drinks.
- Paneer was coated with casein, whey protein concentrate and tapioca starch coatings and dried. Paneer coated with starch and casein stored well and was of similar quality. Therefore, edible coatings can be recommended for paneer for extension of its shelf life.
- Orange peel having antioxidants activities could be used as a cheap natural source of natural antioxidants which can be used in fat rich dairy products like ghee for retarding oxidative deterioration
- The Techno-economic study conducted indicated that the two technologies transferred namely, gulam jamoon mix & palada payasam mix are doing well at KMF and MILMA respectively and enabled the Federations to add new product to their product mix, besides realizing higher revenue
- Economic analysis of manufacture of selected dairy products in the organized dairies from Southern states indicated that cost of production of dairy products varied across the dairies. It was also found that the dairies had created good infrastructure and provided services for the development of the dairy farmers.
- The role of government organizations is analyzed in terms of functions, financial support, programme organized and capacity building activities for entrepreneurial development of rural women and in terms of entrepreneurial initiatives, facilitation, support and sustenance
- The milk products used in the traditional systems, Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and homeopathy include curd, buttermilk, butter, ghee, cream, whey and paneer. Milk and milk products play an important and inevitable role in all the three traditional medicinal systems.
- The profile study on small holder dairy production systems in the southern region indicated that majority of the respondents possessed 2-5 dairy animals (64-76%). The cost of milk production in the region ranged from Rs.17-23/litre. It was revealing that dairy farmers are facing umpteen constraints that arrest dairy development and need to be redressed on priority.
- The dairy entrepreneurship development of two Self Help Group members involved in dairy farming were studied and entrepreneurship trainings were imparted to study the impact on their livelihood.
- On-farm and off-farm Training programmes were arranged for dairy entrepreneurs/dairy farmers for hand on training programme for its future application towards control of subclinical and clinical mastitis
- The extension section was involved in conducting visitors to the institutes, providing advisory services, conducting orientation and training programmes and distribution of extension literature prepared in local languages for the benefit of farmers.
- Extension section is also involved in conducting various training programmes & participation in different Exhibitions