[Insights Secure – 2018] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 17 November 2017
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
1) Why did India wait till early 1990s to introduce structural economic reforms but not in 1970 as did by China? Critically examine. (150 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
2) Making registration of marriages compulsory, like births and deaths, is an effective antidote to social evils like child marriage, bigamy and gender violence. Discuss. (250 Words)
Topic: Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
3) The Supreme Court is definitely facing an institutional crisis of the kind that it has never faced before, mainly, but not exclusively, on account of the most ferocious attack ever on the judiciary by the executive. Comment. (250 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to education
4) Do you think private schools deliver better learning outcomes than public schools? In the light of the recent World Development Report, discuss the issues associated with private education and the need for upgradation of public education in India. (250 Words)
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
5) What do you understand by the rules-based regional security architecture ? Examine how can India and ASEAN be partners in the rules-based regional security architecture. (150 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Environmental pollution
6) Discuss the causal relationship between indoor and outdoor air pollution with the rise of disease burden in India. (150 Words)
Topic: S&T; Security challenges
7) Is global instability from proliferation and weaponisation of nuclear weapons imminent? Examine the measures taken and the challenges that exist to ban nuclear weapons. (250 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Ethics in human actions
8) Examine the ethical issues involved in protests against the release of movie Padmavati. (150 Words)
The Indian Express
List Of Interesting Essay Writing Topics On Current Affairs
One of the easiest papers that you can ever be asked to write about is anything that touches on current affairs. This is indeed one of the best alternatives for you, considering that you get the chance to show your teachers that you are well versed in matters that are going on around you. There is nothing that should be any easier to write than this particular topic and for this reason you will certainly have an easier time in the process.
One of the main reasons why this is one of the best papers you can ever be asked to work on is because in the long run the easiest research that you can perform will actually set you on course to get some of the best resources for the paper. The easiest search online will reveal as much information as you can about the subject that you are looking to address, and this is what really makes the difference.
The following are some subjects that are supposed to make your work easier in terms of discussing any topic on current affairs:
- Discuss the reasons why young boys and most recently girls are fleeing their countries secretly in a bid to join militia groups such as Al-Shabaab and ISIS
- Explain why North Korea and Russia have the highest likelihood of sparking off a world war
- The incidents that have been experienced in Syria over the past have been devastating, discuss how they could have been avoided
- An earthquake of magnitude 7.2 was suspect to have a probability of hitting the Philippines. Discuss any preventive measures that would have been taken to minimize the damage, considering that advance warning was available a very long time ahead of the disaster
- With inference to the recent events in Kenya, discuss the importance of the beatification of a person to the catholic faithful
- African leaders have a penchant for impunity. Discuss with reference to Burundi president Pierre Nkurunziza who decided to run unconstitutionally for a third term, against the wishes of his people, even under the backdrop of a coup
- Foreign media houses will often question the legitimacy of presidents like Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe for being in power for so long. However, no one ever questions the British Queen for staying in power even given her frail age. Discuss this concept of double standards of reporting