A cover letter isn't ever going to win you a job by itself, but a badly worded letter is going to cause doubts in the employers mind right from the start.
A good cover letter explains why you, over all the other candidates, are worth taking the time to find out more about. This sample cover letter for job application is designed for professionals who already have a few years worth of experience under their belt. If you think your Covering Letter is ready to provide your resume with some helpful back up, create a cover letter on Monster now.
Dear [INSERT HIRING MANAGER’S NAME],
Regarding the [INSERT JOB TITLE] position currently advertised on Monster.ca, please find attached a copy of my resume for your consideration.
Having worked within the industry for over [INSERT YEARS EXPERIENCE], I have developed a wide range of skills that would meet, and exceed the expectations for the role. In my present role as a [INSERT CURRENT JOB TITLE] for [INSERT CURRENT EMPLOYER] I have had many achievements, including [INSERT KEY ACHIEVEMENT].
I would relish the opportunity to bring this level of success to your company. If you would like to get in touch to discuss my application and to arrange an interview, you can contact me via [INSERT PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL ADDRESS].
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sample Cover Letter for Job Application With Writing Tips
The following is an example of a letter of application sent with a resume to apply for a job. Use this example as a guideline when writing your own job application cover letters. Also see below for an example a job application letter sent by email and tips for what to include and how to write a letter to apply for a job.
Your job application letter is an opportunity to highlight your most relevant qualifications and experiences, enhancing your resume, and increasing your chances of being called for an interview.
Your letter should detail your specific qualifications for the position and the skills you would bring to the employer. See below for how to email your application letter.
What to Include in Your Letter
As with all cover letters, the body of this job application letter is divided into three sections: the introduction, which details why the applicant is writing; the body, which discusses relevant qualifications; and the closing, which thanks the reader and provides contact information and follow-up details.
Sample Job Application Letter
8 Sue Circle
Smithtown, CA 08067
87 Delaware Road
Hatfield, CA 08065
Dear Mr. Gilhooley,
I am writing to apply for the programmer position advertised in the Times Union. As requested, I am enclosing a completed job application, my certification, my resume, and three references.
The opportunity presented in this listing is very interesting, and I believe that my strong technical experience and education will make me a very competitive candidate for this position. The key strengths that I possess for success in this position include:
- I have successfully designed, developed, and supported live use applications
- I strive for continued excellence
- I provide exceptional contributions to customer service for all customers
With a BS degree in Computer Programming, I have a full understanding of the full lifecycle of a software development project. I also have experience in learning and excelling at new technologies as needed.
Please see my resume for additional information on my experience.
I can be reached anytime via email at email@example.com or my cell phone, 909-555-5555.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you about this employment opportunity.
Signature (for hard copy letter)
Sample Email Letter of Application
Subject: FirstName LastName - Web Content Manager Position
Dear Contact Person:
I'm writing to express my interest in the Web Content Manager position listed on Monster.com. I have experience building large, consumer-focused health-based content sites. While much of my experience has been in the business world, I understand the social value of the non-profit sector and my business experience will be an asset to your organization.
My responsibilities included the development and management of the site's editorial voice and style, the editorial calendar, and the daily content programming and production of the website.
I worked closely with healthcare professionals and medical editors to help them provide the best possible information to a consumer audience of patients. Also, I helped physicians learn to utilize their medical content to write user-friendly, readily comprehensible text.
Experience has taught me how to build strong relationships with all departments at an organization. I have the ability to work within a team as well as cross-team. I can work with web engineers to resolve technical issues and implement technical enhancements, work with the development department to implement design and functional enhancements, and monitor site statistics and conduct search engine optimization.
Thank you for your consideration.
Signature (hard copy letter)
Tips for Writing a Strong Application Letter
Follow these strategies to write a strong letter:
- Get off to a direct start: In your first paragraph, explain simply why you are writing. Mention the job title and company name, and also where you came across the job listing. While you can also briefly mention why you are a strong candidate, this section should be short and to-the-point.
- Offer something different than what's in your resume: It's rare to send an application letter without also sending a resume. Your application letter, therefore, doesn't have to duplicate your resume. Your language can be a bit more personal than in resume bullet points — you can tell a narrative about your work experience and career.
- Make a good case. Your first goal with this letter is to move on to the next step: an interview. Your overarching goal, of course, is to get a job offer. Use your application letter to further both of these causes. Offer details about your experience and background that show why you are a good candidate. How have other jobs prepared you for the position? What would you bring to the position, and to the company? Use this space to emphasize your strengths.
- Close with all the important details. Include a thank you at the end of your letter. You can also share your contact information. If you'd like, mention how you will follow up.
How to Send an Email Application Letter
If you're sending your cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message. Include your contact information in your email signature, but don't list the employer's contact information. Skip the date, and start your email message with the salutation. Here's an example of a formatted email cover letter.
How to Write a Job Application Letter
Here's how to write a letter of application for a job, including what should be included in the letter, choosing a font size and style, and letter spacing and formatting.